Nearby Mariyinsky Palace stands the monumental edifice of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, that is Parliament, built in 1936-1939 under the design of the architect Zabolotny.
Its exterior is executed in the classicism style – six columns with Corinthian capitals support the entablature and attic decorated with the Ukrainian State symbols. On both sides of the portico are four sculptural groups depicting representatives of the Ukrainian industry, agriculture, science and culture (sculptor V.Znoba, 1985). Its heart is a session hall with a transparent dome that hosts more than 1,000 people. At night, the dome is illuminated, which makes the building look splendid. It is here that the basic laws of the state are adopted.
The first session of the Ukrainian Parliament in the building of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine took place on July 25, 1939, and half a century later, on August 24, 1991, the independence of Ukraine was proclaimed here. Yellow-blue Ukrainian flag was also approved as a national in those walls.