The history of the Kyiv St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery begins on July 11, 1108, with a mention in the chronicle of the foundation of the church in the name of St. Archangel Michael. This church was at that time the only one in Kyiv that had a golden bath and because of this was named "Golden-Domed".
St. Michael's Cathedral is built of stone and plinth bricks on lime-cement mortar using the technique of "mixed masonry" using vowels in the vaults of the vaults. The walls of the cathedral were decorated with mosaics and frescoes. Only the central altar was decorated with mosaics. Frescoes were placed on other walls, vaults and pre-altar pillars. Some of the mosaics and frescoes of St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral have been preserved.
In the twelfth century the monastery was the burial place of princes. St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral was considered one of the best monumental buildings in ancient Kiev. It was a six-column cross-domed temple with three naves. His greatest shrine was the relics of St. Barbara the Great Martyr, brought to Kyiv by the wife of Prince Sviatopolk, the daughter of the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Comnenus, who bore the name of Barbara at baptism. In 1240 it was looted and partially destroyed by the hordes of Khan Batu. Under Metropolitan Boretsky, the monastery became one of the centers of the anti-Union struggle.
In the 17th century, the monastery became a large landowner: it owned part of the territory of Kyiv, the villages of Borodyanka, Trypillya, Motovylivka, etc. At the end of the eighteenth century. the monastery of St. Michael's Monastery was opened, which was named "Theophany". By the beginning of the twentieth century. the monastery complex, despite various troubles, including fires, became richer and more elegant. It was always full of believers, the cathedral hosted majestic services. After the Pechersk Lavra, it was the second largest city in Kyiv in terms of the number of pilgrims. By this time the cathedral had become a seven-domed building, all the baths of which were covered with red gold. In the first half of the XVIII century on the territory of the monastery there was a large construction in the style of Ukrainian (Mazepa) Baroque: in 1713 a refectory church was built, in 1716-20 - a stone bell tower.