The Kontraktovy House is a historical trading house on Kontraktova Square in Kiev. Built in 1815-1817. One of the many examples of classicist architecture in the city.
The name of the house is associated with contracts, that is, commercial transactions concluded on the premises.
After a fire in 1811 in Kiev, the second floor of the first contract house, built in 1800-1801, burned down, as a result of which the building was unsuitable for performing its functions. That is why in 1815-1817 a new Contract House was built according to the project of the English architect William Geste and with the participation of the Ukrainian architect Andrey Melensky.
From the very beginning, the contract house was planned as the main hotbed of Kiev contract fairs, in addition, in projects that were not destined to be realized, there was also the construction of a magistrate building, which was supposed to be dominant in the complex. On the right there would be a Contractor House, on the left a post office was to be built.