The educational and scientific center "Institute of Biology and Medicine" of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv was created on the basis of the Biological Faculty, which, as a separate unit, began its operation in 1933. Two of its departments (botany and zoology) existed since the founding of the Imperial University of St. Vladimir in 1834 (then at the Faculty of Philosophy).
To date, the Institute consists of 11 departments:
• Biology of plants
• Biophysics and medical informatics
• General and medical genetics
• Ecology and zoology
• Microbiology and immunology
• Physiology and Anatomy
• Fundamental medicine
• Cytology, Histology and Reproductive Medicine
and the following scientific divisions:
• Department of Experimental Biology,
• Department of Biological and Biomedical Technologies,
• Botanical garden named after academician O.V. Fomin
• Kaniv Nature Reserve
• Zoological Museum.
The Institute employs research laboratories, a diagnostic laboratory, an information and computer center, and inter-departmental laboratories.
Next to Institute of Biology and Medicine of the Taras Shevchenko National University