The Church of the Holy Great Martyr Catherine in Kiev was founded in 1738 by the Greek community of Kiev on land that belonged to the Greek merchant Astamatiosovi Stimati. Initially, a wooden chapel was built on the site of the modern church. In 1739-1741 a brick church was built instead of a wooden chapel. At first, the church of this monastery had typical Ukrainian features, there were three parts, with three domes. At the end of the 19th century, the church was rebuilt so that only one upper dome was left. The iconostasis of the Greek church was made in the Rococo style. On March 8, 1746, by the decree of the Holy Synod, the temple was turned into a monastery under the administration of the Archdiocese of Sinai. For 150 years, the farm has turned into a large complex of structures facing the Kontraktova Square and occupying part of the quarter bounded by Ilyinskaya, Borisoglebskaya and Aleksandrovskaya streets.