Holy Protection Monastery, Holosiivsky Desert – these are sketes of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra monastery, located in the forest on the southern outskirts of Kiev.
The history of this place began in the 18th century, when Peter Mogila built there a temple to honor Johann the New (Sochavsky) and founded the suburban skete of the Lavra. The desert became the summer residence of the Kyiv Metropolitans.
In 1845, the St. Filaret (Amphitheatres) built a stone church with two chapels: Three Saints and Johann of Sočavo. In the years 1910-1912, a temple in honor of the icon of the Mother of God "The Life-giving Spring" was built. In addition to the temples, in Goloseevo there were summer house of the Metropolitans with the house church of St. Johann the Long-suffering, a hotel, the main household yard of the Lavra and other buildings.
Desert was abolished by the Soviet government in 1926, when all the temples were destroyed. In 1993 the monastery was opened again. In the same year, the relics of St. Alexis Holosiivsky of Kiev were found and the temple of Johann the Long-suffering was opened.
In the tomb under the Mother of God temple the relics of Alipia's mother have been kept since 2006. The blessed old lady had a gift of healing during her lifetime, and even after her death, she helps the sick.