The building was built in the summer of 1908 according to the project of architect Eduard Bradtman in the early modernist style for the Poltava merchant of the 2nd guild Sergey Arshavsky. The monogram “SA” on the facade of the building still reminds of the first owner. The floor plan was a separate 10-room apartment. Premises included: kitchen, buffet, wine cellar, refrigerator, laundry room. Initially, the estate had an adjoining garden measuring 569 m2 (125 fathoms2).
Since 1913, the estate was bought by the Kiev merchant of the 1st guild Toviy Apshtein. Coincidentally, the initials of the sons of Apstein (Solomon and Samuel) coincided with the original monogram "SA".